Tuesday, May 5, 2009

From the Department of Corrections


Sometimes the Stones miss you, sometimes you miss the Stones. Such was the case this weekend, when an editorial process introduced an unfortunate error into the review of Communism of Forms that I wrote for the Globe. The published review implied that the White Album was created by the Rolling Stones. Not! I was just as confused as anyone to see this info. Apologies to the artist, Brady Cranfield, whose work The White Album and Sticky Fingers shows him listening to each of the titular albums--the former by the Beatles and the latter by the Rolling Stones. Mick.. Paul... I hope there's no hard feelings.

5 comments:

L.M. said...

Fess up Leah, you were the one who made that mistake because you are 12 years old.

Leah Sandals said...

Um, no.... I only LOOK like I am 12 years old. Art critics are all working for the Botox dontcha know.

A.K. said...

Leah looks at least 18 to me. However, I happen to have it on good authority that 6 months ago, in a cost-saving move, the Globe and Mail fired all their copy editors and fact-checkers, and replaced them with students from Ms. Frankland's grade 4 class at Withrow Public School. They are doing a bang-up job, considering they are only 10 years old.

Leah Sandals said...

Hmmmm... well, the lack of factcheckers, or at least classic rock and rollers, at the Globe would seem to be a sad situation. But I am 34 (or as I like to say, older than Jesus) so I should have caught this earlier too.

Also, I recently heard Ivor Tossell's weekly new media column has been cut from the Globe. Boo! More new new media coverage is needed, not less.

But such is the media industry nowadays. I guess I understand at the same time as I cringe.

Leah Sandals said...

I should also say, the remaining copy editors who are left to do all this stuff (factchecking, trimming, spelling) are super overworked in most newspapers, which is why some of this stuff gets through -- or more than used to. It's not that people aren't trying.