Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Feature: Orlan @ OCAD in Sketch Mag


One of the highlights of my fall was meeting iconic French artist Orlan at OCAD. The college brought her in at the end of September for a one-week residency, which included a public lecture, classroom visits and a collaborative Nuit Blanche project. I took on the task of writing a feature on her visit for the OCAD periodical, Sketch Magazine. To be frank, the lecture was a bit of a gong show owing to an inept translator, but I was still quite agog at just meeting her, this legendary artist I learned about in my first visual studies course at NSCAD. I learned a lot about her non-surgical work along the way, including Le Baiser de L'artiste, which was part of the acclaimed survey Wack! Art and the Feminist Revolution. Anyway, my profile can be found in the Winter 2009 issue of Sketch, which is available here as a PDF if you don't happen to have a hard copy.

Image of Orlan performing Baiser de l'artiste in 1977

No comments: